Ljubljana is placed among the 50 most successful European meetings cities, which places it in the top half of the list of countries which have recently joined the EU and countries from South-East Europe. Ljubljana’s wish is to cement itself as the leading meetings and incentive destination in the South-Eastern region of Europe under the slogan “Ljubljana – A Cool Capital for Great Meetings.” Because meetings tourism is the economic and tourist sector with the highest added value and huge potential for further development of Ljubljana, Tourism Ljubljana has decided together with key stakeholders to prepare a strategy of meetings tourism development until 2020.
The purpose of the strategy was to create a strategic frame and set measures, tools and activities to achieve the set development goal, to ensure Ljubljana’s position as the leading congress destination in South-Eastern Europe based on the indicators of ICCA (the International Congress and Convention Association).
The strategy also includes the accepted documents and connects them into a whole.
The strategy is composed of the strategic summary and the manifesto of Congress Ljubljana 2020, the analytical work and results with key congress stakeholders and the results of the research between meetings agencies and participants, which was executed between August and September 2011.
Next to the strategic development segments, the following foundations of further development were also laid:
- The layout of the strategy was set equally so that all who wanted to improve Ljubljana’s meetings tourism could participate.
- The operative marketing part is based on innovative ways of marketing, one that uses new ways of media as much as possible.
- Due to the limited funds, the realisation part is within the boundaries of crucial activities only.
- The entire strategy is founded on measurable and reachable goals.
- Following the growth and development of the strategy, check-ups will happen annually as part of the Strategic Council of the meetings industry of Ljubljana.